Job Title: Assistant Fire Safety Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to aid development of our Fire Safety Engineering team within a fast evolving business. The team has a long track record delivering exciting projects in both the buildings and infrastructure field including the renown Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford to the remodelling of Blackfriars Station.
The successful candidate for the role will design sustainable fire safety solutions in line with the fire legislation and UK building regulations.
Our existing Fire Safety Engineering team is in our Bishop’s Stortford office while expanding the team in London and other areas across the UK.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
- Designing fire solutions structurally;
- First class project delivery;
- Developing existing systems to aid fireproofing;
- Professional and Technical Support;
- Development of Fire Safety Strategy (FSS) reports during design stages (RIBA 2-4) for building regs approval;
- Means of Escape analysis (including calculations of evacuation times based on RSET principles from PD 7974 part 6; escape routes and exits widths; assessment of travel distances; development and assessment of evacuation strategy plans);
- People Movement Modelling Analysis (PeMMA): evacuation and crowd simulations using computational models, such as EXODUS;
- Good knowledge on CAD (Computer Aided Design) packages for building up floor plans, sections, elevations of building designs;
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards applied to buildings, such as Approved Document B (AD B), BS9999:2015, BS9991:2015; BS7974:2019;
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards, such as the London Underground fire safety standards, the Network Rail standards, e.g., LUL – S1371, Railway Safety Principles and Guidance (RSPG);
- Risk Based Interpretation and Application of these fire safety documents as well as other Codes of Practice such as international documents such as NFPA standards (e.g., NFPA 101, NFPA 130);
- Third Party Review/Design Verification;
- Attendance of internal design team meetings;
- Attendance of external design team meetings with clients with initial supervision;
- Supporting on the development of Fire Risk Assessment reports for both, the building and rail sectors;
- Development of mark-ups for fire compartmentalisation, means of escape etc.
Additional skills and expertise in the following topics would be an advantage:
- Hazard Identification;
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) understanding;
- Fire Risk Assessment (FRA’s) principles;
- Understanding of fire dynamics, heat transfer and smoke behaviour principles in enclosed environments (particularly in undergrounds and tunnels);
- Basic understanding on Active Fire Protection AFP (e.g., sprinkler systems, fire detection and alarm systems; mechanical smoke control systems etc.) and Passive Fire Protection (PFP) measures (e.g.; structural fire resistance, fire compartmentalisation, fire doors etc.);
- Basic knowledge on fire modelling simulation (using zone models such as CFAST and CFD Computational Fluid Dynamics-based models such as SMARTFIRE);
- Familiarity with BIM (Building Information Modelling);
- Familiarity with Sustainability and its integration with the Fire Safety discipline.
Qualifications and Experience
Why Pell Frischmann?
Pell Frischmann is a company of consulting engineers which provide a broad spectrum of engineering services. Originally founded in 1926, the company now operates from seven offices covering the UK with further offices in the Middle East and India. Our multi-disciplinary expertise also includes civil, structural, mechanical & electrical engineering through to transportation and environmental consultancy.
We have worked with a wide variety of companies to help deliver an equally diverse portfolio of developments. Our Fire Safety Engineering team is currently developing R&D in line with the company’s principle: “excellence through innovation”. We cover all RIBA stages and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to get involved in exciting and challenging projects. Pell Frischmann will support the candidate professional career to be developed to the next level.