Job Title: Associate
Reports to: Technical Director
Direct Reports: 2-4
Main Purpose of the Job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an exceptional chartered Associate level Structural Engineer to join our London office.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As an Associate, you will have a sound awareness of the commercial implications of engineering design and understand the scope of works, contract conditions and invoicing for your projects. You will seek opportunities to cross sell on your projects and for additional fees where scope and/or programmes change.
An Associate plans/controls and produces documentation suitable for each of the key RIBA stages (and, by implication, Building Control submission). This includes, but is not limited to:
- Design programming and agreeing delivery dates and information required with designers and contractors and monitoring and acting on progress.
- Drawings & Sketches
As an Associates, you are expected to act as a role model for professional excellence for your teams. Associates are expected to be competent in the design of all common UK building materials, and to have a special expertise in one or more areas of Structural Engineering (e.g. Steel, Concrete, glass, façade engineering, BIM, parametric design etc). In addition, you will look for opportunities to develop PF’s capabilities and brand by developing and sharing your design/analysis skills both internally and externally and by representing Pell Frischmann within industry to market our skills.
You will also:
- Explain engineering concepts.
- Prepare sketches of key structural elements to explain their function to non-technical readers.
- Review the work of less experienced engineers, revising and amending as necessary for the final report.
- Prepare design philosophy statements for calculations
- Carry out monitoring of buildings under construction:
• Site inspections.
• Attending to constructor’s queries.
• Attending to any apparent design deficiencies in the original design approach and amending internal procedures as needed to ensure future prevention.
• Track changes and look for opportunities where we may raise variations.
• Produce information to develop our marketing
• Look for opportunities to mobilise Pell Frischmann’s work
Qualifications, Experience & Skills